Green Lights
Room 101

13th January 2003

Teething problems...

I must apologise to all visitors for the severe lack of updates to this website! I am currently borrowing a computer as my home computer decided it didn't want to work anymore. I am still in the process of working on a brand new website which will be available in the coming months, provided I can get Internet access. I am still attending Enfield Town matches on a regular basis, and at this moment in time we are working on a new issue of TGTLS News. Up the Town! Oh, and I realise that this website has been flooded with advertisements - once again, there is nothing I can do about this problem until I regain full Internet access. Please bear with me!

11th October 2002

Town march on in cup

Enfield Town 3-1 North Leigh (FAV1)
Enfield Town progressed to the second round of the FA Vase with this victory against a spirited North Leigh side. North Leigh had several chances during the first half, the most notable being in the 12th minute when Adam Hamp lobbed Andy Hall from outside the area, but Dave Allen superbly cleared off the line to keep the the scores even. Town's first goal came when North Leigh keeper, Kevin Alder, was unlucky not to hold onto a cross, and dropped into the path of Kevin Riley who had the simple task of tapping the ball into an empty net. Town's second goal came in the 39th minute when James Bunn passed Bradley Brotherton on the edge of the area, who finished the move off with a low hard shot beyond the keepers reach. Into the second half, and North Leigh clawed one back in the 46th when Craig Pearman headered low and to the right of Andy Hall. Enfield Town were under quite a bit of pressure, but some astute defending and goalkeeping prevented any more goals being conceded. Town's third goal came in around the 65th minute, when a very tame cross from James Bunn somehow managed to slip under keeper Alder. Town perhaps should've scored at least one more goal, but this was a very decent performance in front of the 309 crowd. Credit must go to the Referee and his assistants who officiated the game superbly.

11the October 2002

One point claimed at Stansted

Enfield Town 1-1 Stansted (ESL)
Town came away from Stansted with a solitary point after a scrappy game. Kevin Riley scored first for Town after a free-kick was headered onto the cross bar and down onto the goaline and several players fought for the ball. Riley won the battle and Enfield went 1-0 to the good. Stansted equalised when Jackman was unfortunate to miss kick a back pass, and the opportunity was converted by Andy Robinson who had the simple task of tapping the ball in. Jackson made amends soon after by saving several shots superbly, but the real talking point was in the 62nd minute when James Bunn was fouled in the area, and a penalty was awarded. However, the spot kick was brilliantly saved by Stasted keeper, Dennis. After this incident, chances were few and far between, and the points were shared.

9th October 2002

Clarke reaches milestone!

Enfield Town 3-1 Woodford (ESL)
Town claimed another three points against a much improved Woodford team in this exciting clash. Bradley Brotherton opened the scoring in the 4th minute with a simple header from James Bunn's cross, but then amazingly, he was subsituted after it was announced his partner had gone into Labour! It took just 10 minutes for the team to score their second goal when Kevin Riley set up Danny Clarke who scored his 50th goal for the club! Clarke then hit the post from a narrow angle just moments later after some excellent running. Woodford clawed one back though after Andy Hall kicked the ball into Adam Gant's back, and the ball set up nicely for Delroy Forde to tap the ball home. Danny Clarke scored his second of the game after Bunn ran free into the area and squared the ball to Clarke, who shot at the keeper; the ball shot up into the air, but Clarke still managed to head the ball into the back of the net. At the start of the second half, Dave Young was sent off for Woodford for foul and abusive language. The game became bad tempered, but Enfield managed to hold on for all three points.

5th October 2002

All square in league cup

Enfield Town 1-1 Sawbridgeworth (LC1)
Town opened their league cup campaign with this draw against Sawbridgeworth. The action began in the 33rd minute when Danny Snowsill's shot went narrowly over the bar. New signing Wes Jackman was brought on at half time to replace Andy Hall, and looked comfortable throughout the game. Grameme Hall scored for Town in the 50th minute after jumping well to header a Rudi Hall free-kick. However, Sawbridgeworth equalised when Jackson parried a strong cross, which was then tapped home by Wheeler. Enfield Town will be hoping to improve on this performance in the second leg.

2nd October 2002

Town claim three points

Enfield Town 2-1 Ilford (ESL)
The first home game of the season for Enfield Town saw them beat a positive looking Ilford team by a narrow margin. Bradley Brotherton opened up the scoring in the 53rd minute, shooting low beyond John Hudson's reach. However, Ilford levelled the scores from the penalty spot, and this incident seemed to fire the game up. Tempers began to flare moments later when Brotherton was sent off for an off the ball incident, in which an Ilford player was also booked. James Bunn restored the lead after scoring superbly from a free-kick in the 67th minute. The match continued to be keenly contested, and in the dying moments, Andy Hall made a fantastic save to ensure all three points went to the Town.

21st September 2002

Extra-time win in FA Vase

Basildon United 0-2 Enfield Town (FAVQ2)
Basildon United fought bravely in this game, but were eventually beaten with a brace from Kevin Riley in extra-time. The opening chance came in the first minute when Stuart Snowden had his header superbly saved by the Basildon keeper. After the break, Town continued to completely dominate, but the game took a turn for the worse when Alan Bird was sent off in the 56th minute for violently throwing the ball in James Bunn's face. Both teams had chances in the remainder of the half, the most notable being when Basildon's Igor Leschuk shot wide with only Andy Hall to beat. The opening goal came in extra time when Clarke ran onto a long clearance from Hall, and smashed the ball into the area where Riley was waiting to convert home. Riley scored his second of the game from a tap in, after Danny Clarke tirelessly ran with the ball and cut it back into the area. Town now progress into the FA Vase 1st round proper for their first time in their history.

17th September 2002

Comfortable victory against Eton

Eton Manor 1-4 Enfield Town (GBMT)
Enfield Town returned to this competition after being forced to withdraw last season due to unfortunate circumstances. Chandler experimentated with his squad for this game, and the decision to do so paid dividends. Eton matched Town for the first 15 minutes until Danny Snowsill ran well and laid the ball off to Bunn who scored from the edge of the area. Straight from the restart, Danny Clarke intercepted a pass, ran half the length of the pitch, and scored easily. This was the turning point in the game, as Town completely took control and were unlucky not to score several more times before the break. As early as the 46th minute of the new half, Eton keeper Mann was forced to save a clearance from his own defender. Then, to the amazement of the supporters, Mann was froced to save another attempted clearance from an Eton player. The game was over in the 68th minute when Bradley Brotherton rose superbly to head the ball home from a corner. Town's fourth and final goal came in the 73rd minute when James Bunn scored a superb free-kick from well outside the area. The referee blew up for full time, and Town progressed to the next round.

14th September 2002

Concord overpower Enfield

Concord Rangers 2-0 Enfield Town (ESL)
Town lost their first game of the season despite a good performance in the first half. Town were unlucky not to take the lead in the 40th minute after a Danny Alleyne header was superbly saved by keeper Stuart Meade. The second half was a differnt story however, as Town failed to get out of second gear. They paid the price when Lee Briant scored in the 56th minute for Concord. The game was as good as over when Bradley Brotherton was unfortunate to give away a penalty in the 68th minute. Brant duly despatched the penalty for Concord, and claimed all three points.

10th September 2002

Town continue 100% record

Sawbridgeworth 0-1 Enfield Town (ESL)
Enfield Town kept up their unbeaten record, despite the strong performance from Sawbridgeworth. Enfield defended extremely well in the opening exchanges, but eventually took control of the game and played some of their best football of the season. The opening goal came didn't come until the 61st minute when a Matt Negus corner was powered into the net from Stuart Snowden. Sawbridgeworth then began to apply pressure on the Enfield defence, and perhaps would've equalised had it not been for the heroics of Andy Hall. The best chance for Sawbridgeworth came in the 88th minute when Campbell shot wide after some excellent movement. Enfield held on to secure the victory, and another three vital away points.

7th September 2002

Town storm on in FA Vase

Whitton United 1-3 Enfield Town (FAVQ1)
World Cup hero Bradley Brotherton scored twice as Enfield Town despatched of Whitton United in the FA Vase. Town fell behind in the 34th minute when a Layton header was powered into the goal from a corner. Stuart Snowden scored from the penatly mark in the 41st minute to level the scores after a poor challenge from Whitton defender Allen. Into the second half, Town pressurised Whitton, and took just eight minutes to go into the lead as Brotherton headered home from a corner. Town had several chances to increase the lead, but Whitton gradually came back into the game and were unlucky not to equalise. The game was eventually settled when Brotherton again scored in the 90th minute after the Whitton keeper failed to hold onto a Clarke shot. Town now face Basildon United in the next qualifying round.

25th August 2002

Enfield Town trio in World Cup glory!

(Info from the official ETFC website) An event that managed to slip the attention of the national media this summer was the INAS-FID World Cup, staged in Japan with the games being held in the same stadiums as used in the World Cup itself. The England Learning Difficulties squad, managed by Lyndon Lynch, included Bradley Brotherton, Rudi Hall and Ronnie Watson of Foresters Essex Senior League club Enfield Town. The tournament was contested by 16 teams, and culminated in the Final on Sunday, 25th August, at the Yokohama Stadium in front of a crowd of 24,670.

England qualified from their group in some style, winning all three games quite easily including a 22-0 victory over Hong Kong. Enfield Town's Rudi Hall was hitting the net with much regularity and he finished the tournament with the Golden Boot award for his 11 goals.

After disposing of Russia in the semi-finals, England faced a strong Dutch side in the final and, courtesy of an early dismissal, ran out eventual winners by a 2-1 scoreline. The Enfield Town trio can be assured of a hero's welcome when they return to the club by the end of the month, while the success of the England team must surely bring the Learning Difficulties squad, and Disabled Football in general, to the attention of the public.

We at TGTLS News would like to congratualte the whole of the England squad on their magnificent achievement.

Lee Robson - Website Editor